Another Remake? Really?

Link
 This past Christmas holiday we enjoyed watching Sound of Music like so many of you.  I heard something though that made my heart sink a bit.  A remake was in the works.  Growing up my mom would tell us stories of going to the occasional location of the film and hanging from the same trees.  I wish that the Von Trapp would always be represented as they were in the film above.  Not too glossy, a wholesome time of a bygone era and not long after World War II.  But now it seems all of that is about to change.  No, I'm not too happy about this remake.
Link
 I can't help but think, "what's next?"  The beloved West Side Story?  Why?  Because it's dated, kids today can't relate?  Sure there are some cheesy looks, but that's all a part of the charm.
Link
 One movie that is set for a release date is the Wizard of Oz and a sequel to the Wizard of Oz.  I'm not a huge fan of the modern computer graphics or anything else it might bring.  Why can't things be left to the imagination?  I'm already wishing this would have been left alone.  We wouldn't try to redo Van Gogh's Starry Night now would we?  That's what so many of these films are, masterpieces, pioneers of their time.  They've earned that stature, they paved the way.  It is not up to us to go and repave over that road saying, "There. That's better.  I knew I could do it better."
Link
I can't imagine anybody else in Roman Holiday but these two.  At least for now, this classic has been kept off limits.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me sad because The SOund of Music is my all-time favorite movie.

    ReplyDelete