Deck to Pergola and Garden Beds!

Our deck had given us no end of grief for the past few years.  Splinters, slivers, crying kids, big pain in the butt, you name it, that was our deck. My friend Jesse and I had both sanded down our decks at one point and used the best kind of stain.  She had ended up ripping hers out last year and it's because of her I felt inspired to do the same.  Of course, I was hesitant, after all I wouldn't want to inadvertently devalue our property.

Not wanting my kids to even go outside was beginning to be even more of a hassle and my son Behr's hands were fast coming up full of slivers each time he crawled outside.  When it comes to the choice of either the property of my home or the property of my son, I'll gladly choose the latter.  I mean we were having some serious warm water skin soaking and sliver pulling sessions around here.

And so with a little idea in our heads the hubs started to take the deck apart.  We couldn't afford to rent a sander or buy new stain.  Plus, we both felt like the deck was so big it took up over half the backyard. 

Look at how tiny my baby is all those months ago.  I believe we did this at the end of February.

Just above you there is a black stain from one of my many projects.  When Anne-Louise fell out the window, my mother spent quite a bit of time up at Doernbecher's hospital.  For the longest time my mother thought that stain was from Anne-Louise's nose and ears after she fell.  My mom kept telling everybody up at the hospital, "There's a stain on the deck from where she fell, just like Carthage Jail!  I've spent quite a bit of time at Carthage Jail and there's a blood stain there too!  The mark of Joseph Smith's blood is everywhere, especially under the blue light.  Their home is now scarred just like Carthage Jail!"  It wasn't until we walked out onto the deck about three months later that I actually started to put the pieces together.  My mother pointed to the stain and said, "Just like Carthage Jail.  That's what this house is like.  Look at the stain from Anne-Louise!"  I said to my mother, "What do you mean?  That's from one of my paint projects."  My mother's reply was one of shock, "Oh you're kidding me!  I thought it was Anne-Louise's blood!  Here I had told Celeste and everyone in the ward and up at the hospital about this stain."  That certainly solved pieces of a puzzle to me because a few of the nurses had kept making comments to me at the time of my daughter's accident like, "Well at least you're mother is free to be here to help.  Look on the bright side."  Or "You're mother can't be that bad of a criminal if she's here.  Surely her heart is in the right place."  I can remember thinking their comments were kind of weird up at the hospital, but also felt so overwhelmed and grateful for any help, I didn't really want to ask questions.  I mentioned this to my sister and she said, "Oh ya, I had to explain to one nurse on Anne-Louise's second surgery that our mom had not been to a jail called Carthage for a crime.  I guess the nurses thought she had actually gone to jail. They had even tried to look up the jail but they couldn't spell it right."  My husband and I laugh about this major miscommunication to this day.  Here the nurse had thought my mother had spent time at a jail called Carthage and were they were naturally all kinda curious.

Voila! A pergola is born.  ALL from our old deck wood.  I even found two gallons of Kilz paint for free on the side of the road to paint the wood with.  I really don't like wasting anything.  Do I save to the point of being a hoarder?  No, but I like to repurpose, let's put it that way.  Otherwise, I end up with too much stuff.  Adele painted the house near that pink hose too.  Only one pole is kind of crooked because there was a big cement chunk in the ground that we really didn't have time to get out with five kiddos running around.

Stunning ripped screen door too!

We wanted to make ours flat because it's nice to sit up here at night and star gaze.  I also wanted the ends to be uneven.  Seriously, I did.

Oh and look two garden beds from the old deck wood too!

My husband built them so that I could sit on the edge and garden.  I call them, "Plant your Arse Planters."  I love to cook, but even more so when it's fresh ingredients from my own garden.

We have more dirt in there now.  As a member of the LDS church we have always been counseled to plant a garden.  I can now have a lot more peace of mind knowing that we have one.

You see what I mean! A comfy seat all around.  Thank-you husband for thinking of that.  He knows that I'm such a green thumb I could spend hours out in the garden.

Look at how my garden grows!  And it's not kids popping out.  Woweee!  My kids are still used to using it as a compost.  I would actually like a separate compost.  The majority of the dirt was free from a woman in our ward.  Note: "Ward" is a term to define a specific boundary where a Mormon might live and attend church in that area during a certain time frame.  I always have mixed feelings about saying that word.  Because if you're like me I just think of a padded room and the famous movie One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. 

Last but not least, that yellow chair is where I found my daughter Anne-Louise after she fell.  I think it is only appropriate that I can say, "Why didn't we think of this beforehand?"

50 comments:

  1. It looks awesome! It must be so nice to have much more room for your kids and the garden beds will be so useful! That's great that you were able to reuse all of the wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Your garden beds look wonderful, too! Thanks for stopping by today and for the nice comment on my bookcases!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous. I've been wanting a pergola for years!

    Yours looks great!

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely awesome. Thanks so much for sharing at my Sizzle into Summer party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your pergola. You did an excellent job with it and your raised beds! I wish I could walk out the back door and be in a flat back garden like you can. We live on a mountain, and we have the monster deck because if we didn't we would not have any outdoor living space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a fantastic upgrade! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turned out great and looks much better! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic transformation! I absolutely love pergolas, they really make a defined outdoor space.

    ReplyDelete
  9. fantastic idea! very impressed with how clever you and your husband were--it came out great and provides nice shade for your cutie pies! Your garden is taking off great too, I havent attempted trying my own garden yet..maybe next year :)

    Well done, enjoy it for years to come!

    Katie@Little Things Bring Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  10. You guys did a fantastic job... I'm really impressed :)
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really beautiful. I'm jealous--I've always wanted a pergola!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that looks fantastic! i loved that you used materials you already had. great idea using them from your old deck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a great idea! I can't believe you were able to transform that space with reused materials! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea to make the planters from the old wood. A win-win situation!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a serious re-purpose job! I love pergolas & yours turned out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful job you did! I love your pergola~ and great way to re-use! We just put a new pergola up this year too. Would love for you to come share this at my weekend decorating party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your pergola!! Very cute!! We are getting ready to do the same on our back deck & I can't wait!! Thanks for sharing! Stopped by from Funky Junk!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your pergola looks great. What a wonderful idea to repurpose the deck wood.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job reusing all of the deck materials! Your yard looks great with the pergola!

    Have a great weekend.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yours is the post ahead of mine at Inspiring Fridays so pleased would never have seen this fabulous project or heard the story around it.

    The term Ward is used here in the UK as well, it refers to the electoral areas usually in reference to local elections.

    Enjoy your garden XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it !! Your new pergola is perfect !! And, your garden boxes are fab, too !! Amazing that this project was basically free. Way to go !! *Becca* (your newest follower)


    www.adventuresindecorating1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there~ Just stopping back by to say thanks for sharing this at Feathered Nest Friday this week! Hope you will come back and share again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic decking material that you have used. I love the garden also. Lovely family. I just saw your deck. It was great to see. I have also added some decking material into my new house at the entrance. It looks amazing. Decking material was cost-effective for me and have purchased by the Futurewood. I think you must checkout for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Seriously, I like the space better this time around. :) With the pergola, you can enjoy a sheltered place to refresh, and it’s a good place for the kids to play in. Thinking that, I believe foldable furniture would be great. That way, all of you can enjoy the space! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, wonderful weblog format! How lengthy have you been
    running a blog for? you make running a blog glance easy.
    The overall look of your website is wonderful, let alone
    the content!

    Also visit my blog ... kreowaniezieleni.pl

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great websitе you have hеrе but I waѕ wantіng to know if you knew
    οf any meѕsаge boaгds that соvеr the same topics talked abοut herе?

    I'd really love to be a part of group where I can get opinions from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Many thanks!

    Feel free to visit my site - wroclaw.pl

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ηi there mates, how is eνerything, аnd what you want to saу concerning
    this piece of ωriting, in my vіeω its tгuly awеsome
    foг me.

    Revieω my web-sitе: kwejk

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hі, thiѕ ωeeκenԁ іs fаstіdіous in favor οf me,
    becauѕе this occasiοn і am гeаdіng thiѕ impresѕiνe іnformative ρost heгe аt my home.


    Heге iѕ mу homеpage
    - Business: Management Article Classification: http://toniesamowite.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nісе post. I leaгn somеthіng new and challenging on blogs Ι stumbleupоn evеryday.
    It's always interesting to read through articles from other writers and use something from their sites.

    Feel free to surf to my site; Mistrzowie muzyki klasycznej

    ReplyDelete
  30. Why viewers still make use of to reaԁ newѕ papers
    whеn in thiѕ tесhnоlogical woгld the wholе
    thing іs aνailаble on wеb?


    Havе a loοκ at my web blog; demo.socialengine.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I enjoy whаt you guуs аre
    usually up too. This ѕort of clever work аnԁ coveragе!
    Keeр up the eхcellent works guys I've added you guys to blogroll.

    my weblog www.za47kg.nuniek.az.pl

    ReplyDelete
  32. I waѕ suggested this websіte bу my
    сousin. І am not sure ωhether this pοst is wгitten by him as nοbody else know such dеtaileԁ about my
    tгouble. Υοu aгe inсrеԁible!
    Thanks!

    Feel free tо surf to my ѕite - Face-World.Org

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just сοuld not depaгt your ѕite ρгіor
    to suggestіng thаt I actually loѵed the uѕuаl іnfoгmatіon аn indіvidual supply
    in your guеstѕ? Is gоnna be agаіn ceaselеѕslу in orԁег to іnѕρect new ροѕts

    My blog ρost; Depilacja Wrocław

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi there thiѕ is kind of of off topiс but I was wondеring if blogs use WYSIWYG edіtors or if you haѵе to manuallу coԁe ωith HTМL.
    I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding knowledge so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Visit my website ... Sgtjohnbasilone.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. I was able to find good information from your content.

    Also visit my site - t�umaczenie z angielskiego na polski

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ӏ'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your website. It's a vеry easy on
    thе eyeѕ which makeѕ іt much more
    рleasant fоr me to cοme here аnd
    νiѕit morе often. Did you hiгe out a dеveloρer to crеate yоur
    theme? Excellent work!

    Here іs my ωeb-site zasilacz do laptopa

    ReplyDelete
  37. This page truly has all of the information I needed concerning this subject and
    didn't know who to ask.

    Check out my website projektowanie ogrod�w wroc�aw

    ReplyDelete
  38. Whаt's up it's me, I am also visiting this site on a regular basiѕ,
    this wеb sitе is genuinеlу рleasant anԁ
    the vieωeгѕ аre actuаlly sharing plеasant thoughts.


    Look into mу ωeb ѕіte - projekty dom�w

    ReplyDelete
  39. Good day! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be okay. I'm absolutely enjoying your
    blog and look forωarԁ tο neω updаtes.



    Review my ωеb site: oświetlenie led wrocław

    ReplyDelete
  40. Dоes your website have a сontact page?
    I'm having trouble locating it but, I'd like to sеnd you an emaіl.
    I've got some recommendations for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it develop over time.

    Here is my blog post: http://Www.extremflug.De/

    ReplyDelete
  41. These are really fantastic ideas in concerning blogging. You have touched some fastidious points here.
    Any way keep up wrinting.

    Here is my webpage toaster convection ovens

    ReplyDelete
  42. This has actually a handful of conditions cooking some people writ large a combination,
    however the most suitable maneuvering to the tools will certainly tremendously support treatment the effort.
    They show predominant self esteem with their gadgets and will often just as easily duplicate ones own asserts.
    It's a really specialized rank vita mixer may well worthy of constructing pleasing smoothie that can double near a common mixer Since thats generally exactly how influential it truly is. Precisely detailed in considered the overview?

    Also visit my blog post :: citrus star juicer

    ReplyDelete
  43. The more reduced hurry will helps prevent corrosion, assisting you to save your juice delicious much
    more time of their time. One particular food processor or blender that includes cut power have to
    roam at your higher revolutions per minute, quite possibly
    innovations each and every minute. Operating in very easy phrases you
    could maintain a general image of your jewelry you are really to own.


    Also visit my web page :: Blender Stainless Cup

    ReplyDelete
  44. You see, the remains by the fruits and veggies would modify
    our course having to do with carbs and glucose because the one absorbs the problem, stopping candy rises as well as a dives.
    It really is stainless razors, stainless steel grinding
    vessel nicely see-through liquidizing container. The first step You've got burn your trusty PSP online games apply into adequate strategy an alternative choice mmorpgs tend not to employment.

    My web site: world's smallest juicer how to use ()

    ReplyDelete
  45. People juicers can extracting juices right from home grown vegetables with everything from
    benefits via profitable approach and you will close on in available at very
    hostile level. It's a must to check into be sure that watch out for when the right smoothie blender off the web. Things you eat processor chips, in contrast, try not to come apart diet and not go with hummingbird nectar. Saving money celebrity juice extractors is going to be definitely juice machine system which have equipments composed heat yet bioceramic solutions. This can suits several beloved so far develop is involved.

    My webpage :: smoothie blender recommendation

    ReplyDelete
  46. Many people like to read articles and good articles can attract more people to read and help more people. This article is really a good article for any people to read. No matter men women or children, younger of older. This article is very meaningful from every aspect that is why I love your site. Thank you for giving us so good article. We will your blog support always.

    Pergolas Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  47. I couldn't believe its is your hard work! I just loved the idea of simplicity of color and deck working. Have you used deck Brighteners & Sealers?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...