Charlotte Becker, Maud Tousey Fangel, Florence McCurdy and Others

Maud Tousey Fengel was an original vintage artist.  She drew mostly pictures of babies.  She was actually the "in" thing when it came to baby's room's right up until the 1960's.  One day I went to a a garage sale and picked up both of these for 50 cents!  I was thrilled, and they were in their original frames. 

They just bring about that vintage appeal.  Personally, I find them charming.

This one is by Charlotte Becker.  She was a vintage baby artist that came along later.  Her's are a little more cherubic.  The popularity of her prints surged during the 1940's.  This print bares the politically incorrect title of: The Little Mother.  Of course we know better now, and thank heavens we do, so that our girls can have a childhood, too.

This one I picked up at a garage sale for a quarter.  The real delight is that it's in the original vintage frame.  This one is titled: Take Me In Your Arms.  I actually bought the print while pregnant with my daughter Charlotte, not knowing if I was going to have a boy or a girl.  Well, I had a girl and her name is Charlotte.  She has the female version of her father's middle name Charles.

I have no idea who this one is by.  The picture though is in the original vintage frame.  There's no artist signature.  I can only assume it was a generic widely circulated during the 1950's.

Florence McCurdy was another vintage children's artist.  Although, she was not as widely circulated as the other two.  She was more popular during the 1920's.  I bought this one at a garage sale.  The man's wife had just died and he was selling all of her stuff.  He said, "I told her before she died that we were gonna have a big garage sale once she goes home to meet the Maker.  Well, here I am with her best friend selling all of her stuff ten days later.  There's nothing she can do now that she's in heaven.  I'm actually kinda dreading heaven now."  My husband has told me that he's gonna do the same.  She put butterflies on top of the picture, but I still like it. 

This one was given to me by my friend Tammy.  It was hers when she was younger.  Although, now she could only think of giving it to me. I have very nice friends.  It has two B's on the train for the initial BluBabes and five little babes just like me.  This one was made during the late 60's and has the same appeal as the others.  You can also look here for other vintage baby prints.

12 comments:

  1. I love these. My favorite is the one you picked up at a garage sale for a quarter (the one in the blue frame). Thanks for stopping by my blog & for leaving me a comment on my patriotic bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely collection you have! There is so much personality in each of these pictures! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful art! I love the story of the one print you bought, not knowing if you were having a boy or girl. What a sweet story. :) Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today. Happy Weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these. The first one is my favorite! Jean Reasoner Plunket drew both of my girls in pastels. I might post about her later!

    *great post*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darling! You are so lucky to have found these and at such great prices too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun prints!! I love finding such great Treasures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Precious
    Loved this post and I am grateful that you linked with Treasure Chest friday
    xxoo
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great collection!
    Thank you so much for linking it up to {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
    Hope to see more of you tonight! :)
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post...love all of the artist info! Thanks so much for linking to the Tuesday To Do Party!
    Smiles!
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just picked up a similar Florence McCurdy print. My husband bought it for a dollar at a second hand store for the frame. When I looked through the pictures he had removed from various frames he was collecting, I removed one off of the handmade construction paper matte and what was on the back was awesome. Mine is called "Baby chickens" It turns out the stickers were added when the child attended Sunday School. Every time they attended they got to add a sticker to the picture. It has a name of the recipient, the church name, the Sunday School teacher's name and a date! I am wondering where you got yours to see if maybe they went to the same church :) I want to find the person this belongs to! Just found it tonight and came across your photo above! Looking forward to hearing back!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete